Monday, November 28, 2011

I'm Jealous of the Babysitter and Other Things to be Thankful For

During the Patriots/Eagles game on Sunday afternoon I commented that I did not want to go to work the following day to which our friend and babysitter Cindy said, "I do!"  At the moment I thought about how jealous I was of her being able to come and spend that time with my little guys, but then I thought some more and realized some things I'd like to share with you...I like my job.  I'm good at it, I care about the people I work with and for.  I'm grateful to God that I have a job, which is something these days.
I actually have two part time jobs, as I've mentioned before, one as a medical social worker for a home care agency in the area, the other as a marriage and family counselor in a local private practice.  I enjoy having my office and seeing clients individually and as couples.  I have a passion for the work and a desire to do it.
I was able to see that I really have the best of both worlds and should be ever grateful for it.  I love my boys and each moment with them is precious.  However, if I need to work, and I must, this is a wonderful situation!  It's a wonderful situation not only because I like my work but also because I am blessed to have a "babysitter" and friend who loves my boys so well and takes such fabulous care of them while I am away.  That she enjoys her time here with them is something that I am also thankful for...she likes her work!
Shout out to Carol at www.wheretheroadgoes.weebly.com who talked to me about the tension between work and home.  When I am at work I'm thinking about home but not always vice versa.  I am not preoccupied to the point of being unproductive, but it's just enough of a preoccupation for me to realize that there is a bit of a tug there.  I'm not sure if it's an overactive sense of responsibility to my children or the home or if I just miss them...maybe a bit of both.  But what I can say in the midst of this struggle is that God gave me work and it is good to have work to do!  I am thankful for the determination and inspiration to do the work that I do, for the desire to do it well and for the opportunities I do have to use my skills in the workplace.
I love being a mom.  I never understood or could have imagined what it would be like to have a sweet little boy look me in the eyes and call me "mom".  This is another role which I feel called to and equipped for; not always well-equipped as the "Trying Twos" are in full swing and requiring much time, energy and thought.  I was blessed with three sons and I will strive to always do what is best for them in the midst of this tension between work and home.  I hope that they see me working hard and using the talents and time I've been given to serve others and in truth to what I believe I was created for or called to do.  Counselor and Mother.      (Or Mother and Counselor).   
I am thankful.  The Patriots won yesterday, Cindy was here today at 7:30 a.m. with a sunny disposition, and I left for work with kisses from all my boys and with a grateful heart that there is good work to be done. 

2 comments:

  1. Sarah...As always, very insightful. I have exactly the same struggle. I'm good at my job, but sometimes sure feel guilty about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As do I (feel guilty. And when things aren't great on the homefront, the job is the first thing to say needs to go). But I'm so appreciative of my husband and kiddo AND the fact that I can share my skills and talents with people outside the inner circle.

    Great thoughts, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete