Monday, October 10, 2011

Self-Care and other Lofty Goals


I woke up with a sore throat and a pressure headache-'tis the season for sinus trouble!  It has been a crazy week with working both of my jobs, preparing for Bobby's birthday party (which was Saturday) and trying to take advantage of the beautiful weather before it's gone!  My boys would be outside every day for hours if they could.  They are so relaxed and content when we go on walks or just sit outside under the big shade tree in our front yard.  They love it.  So, I've made every effort to get them out in it.  Of course, it works for me too because I love the sunshine.
Well, this morning I did not let a little sinus pressure keep me down.  We took our baby boys for their 6-month check-up complete with shots (I didn't cry this time) then came home.  After that "trauma" the babies and I laid down to try and nap but with their sore little legs, their sore gums because they are both teething, and Bobby's refusal to take a decent nap (day 4 and counting) I did not sleep.  I felt worse after TRYING to nap than I had before the attempt.  Ah-well.
The only thing to do at this point was to go for a ride.  We, Pete and I, decided to try and make the most of the outing so he would be doing some school work while we walked.  We would be walking to and from different stores where I needed to return some things as well as pick some things up for the kids.
As I was working to get all the boys fed and ready to head out for our ride I realized it was around 2pm and I hadn't eaten since 8am!  In all the hustle and bustle I forgot myself.  This is not an uncommon occurrence, I must admit.  My boys are typically cleaner, fuller and more well-rested than I am.  I also understand that that is the way it is as a parent, a good parent anyway, that your children's needs come first.  I believe it to be true and have been known to say that one cannot be selfish and be a good spouse or parent.  Though I am not perfect and am at times selfish, I can err on the opposite end of that spectrum as well.  In other words, it is just as important to practice self-care as it is self-denial.
I ate before we left.  And I made sure I ate dinner when we returned, only after the boys had been fed and put to bed.  As I sit here reflecting on this day and the past week or two I realize that I have really put myself and my self-care projects on the back burner.  Things have just gotten so busy (but aren't we always busy?) that I haven't been remembering to exercise or read.  In the last week I have maybe read 5 pages.  Reading was something I just remarked on in a previous post, about how much I am enjoying it, and here I am neglecting it.
I know that it will be important as my boys grow to model for them a well-balanced life and I have some work to do before I can display that.  Today, I find myself having to take another look at my life and to do the work of reorganizing time and priorities.  Another important step for me in this is to bring it to you, to remain accountable for doing what I say I will do.
While I would continue to write this blog whether you were reading it or not, it is certainly meaningful to me to share milestones and memories, my inconsistancies and insights with you.  You, my witness and unspoken partner in this wonderful blooming process.
I am ready to end my day, dealing with the same pressure headache and sore throat I woke up with, but with a deep sense of calm and resolve that I did not have this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment