Wednesday, July 1, 2015

More Than Sufficient

Let nothing disturb thee
Let nothing dismay thee
All things pass
God never changes
Patience attains 
All it strives for
(S)he who has God
Lacks nothing
God alone suffices.

-St. Teresa of Avila


I love this prayer. I think it's beautiful. That last word, however, leaves me feeling unsatisfied every time. Because this God, my God, MORE than suffices. "Suffice" by definition means to meet or satisfy a need; to be competent or capable. This is a good thing, great even. I find the word "lavish", meaning to give in great amounts without limit. I find this word to be more fitting because in my life, no matter what, God has proven to be faithful, His provision and grace more than sufficient. He lavishes His love on me and has throughout my life (I John 3:1). All that has been required of me is to be open to growth and patient within the process of change. (NOT easy!)  While I work toward a positive attitude in this, it doesn't always come easy. There are plenty of times where I'm disappointed at my lack of patience. The process can be so challenging and those nearest and dearest to me are the ones who suffer. If I don't feel well or am discouraged, they know it. Despite my behavior they have been supportive and patient with me. This most recent cancer diagnosis and treatment has been a growing experience to be sure. But growing always comes with some amount of pain, doesn't it?

2 Corinthians 9:8 "And God is able to provide you with every blessing in abundance, so that by always having enough of everything, you may share abundantly in every good work."

This passage is particularly beautiful to me. It reminds me that in the midst of the most trying times, of brokenness or pain, when I feel as if I have nothing to give, God's blessings to me are abundant and I will always have more than I need so I can share the goodness. I choose not to live my life with the mindset of poverty or as a victim but rather with a mindset of abundance and blessing. While I know my body's tendency toward anxiety and sensitivity toward stress, my spirit and my mind are set on the goodness of God. Not just today when I am starting to feel strong again, but every day. There is more to life than the moment, but I want to live each moment purposefully. I remain open to the lessons of growth and pain. I receive the blessings from a good God. I share goodness with those around me. After all: "She who has God lacks nothing. God alone [lavishes]".




No comments:

Post a Comment