Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Bridle This Blessing

I'm preparing for a colonoscopy tomorrow.  There are worse things.  But I cannot say how many times I have had to remind myself that I cannot eat today.  (Liquid diet until midnight then NPO).  It's amazing how often throughout the day I have gone to put something in my mouth reflexively.  As I was making breakfast and lunch for my boys, while I was cleaning the kitchen, and now as I sit at the kitchen table to write and there is a bowl of fresh-out-of-the-garden peas nearby the urge to eat has been a tough one to overcome.
The good news is that after 4 months of struggling to get food into my mouth past chemo-riddled taste buds, I am now able to eat.  Slowly over the past few weeks my taste buds have been healing.  Food went from being abhorrent, to just not-awful, to most things are alright, and now everything tastes good and I am out. of. control.  
The last few days I have found myself eating anything and everything that crosses my path. It's a luxury and a pleasure that I have been missing and I am not holding back now.  This is not a good for a number of reasons.  First, sugar feeds cancer.  Since I am in the business currently of working to rid my body of cancer this sugar consumption is counterproductive to my health and wellbeing.  Second, I am diabetic and know well enough to limit my sugar and simple carbohydrate intake.  Finally, I am rapidly gaining back some of the inches I had lost during chemotherapy.  While I could afford to gain back some, it is the bloat from eating foods that are toxic that is the issue.  I cannot afford to neglect the health of my body in such a way.
As I contemplate the blessing of being able to taste food for real and to eat without choking, I realize I must work to bridle this blessing.  Bridle: to control or hold back; restrain; curb.  If I do not exercise self-control, discipline and restraint here it will be detrimental.  In order to do so I must plan.  Before my diagnosis I had worked very hard to become structured in my eating and meal planning.  I didn't hit the mark 100% of the time but I did a very decent job of it.  Now it feels like a free-for-all and I want to allow it.  It's time for a visit to my nutritionist.
I am thankful for taste buds that have been restored.  I am blessed with returning strength. I am also very grateful for the lessons I have learned this go-around with a cancer diagnosis. I have learned so much about nutrition, my body and how to care for it, healing and wellness.  Because of this knowledge I will make wise and healthy choices.  I will bridle this blessing.  



No comments:

Post a Comment