Sunday, January 12, 2014

Life by Still Waters…discovery

It came to me in session with one of my clients the other night, this concept of life "by still waters".
This client was talking about his struggle with wanting to always know the right thing to do, or the thing that God would want him to do.  As he spoke, the language he used about being "led" by God invoked a vision of a dog being led around on a leash.
I told him so. 
As I considered what I knew of this client and his faith journey, the God he has spoken about in previous sessions, I immediately thought about the 23rd Psalm.  
"The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want.  He makes me to lie down in green pastures.  He leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul."
While I've never been to a pasture to watch a shepherd lead his sheep I've watched enough tv to have seen a shepherd in action with his sheep.  No leash.  
"His rod and his staff they comfort me."
A shepherd leads with a staff, walking behind or beside his flock, gently prodding (if my television sources are accurate).  If the sheep stray off the path, their shepherd makes them aware with a tap of the staff and sets them aright.
I could see the Good Shepherd leading His sheep, lovingly and with great care walking beside and behind my client, this little lamb.  Leading with a gentle hand.  No leash.
I relayed these thoughts to my client.
In that moment he was speechless.  Once he gathered his thoughts, his words came to him and he told me he would never think of this subject the same again.  And I never will either.
It's so peaceful and comforting to think of God Himself behind me, beside me, the Shepherd who will not allow me to stray, falter or fall.  He would place Himself between me and danger and will never leave me to my own devices.

Going forward, with this new understanding, I hope to illustrate how "on the edge" my life can be sometimes and how the grace of The Good Shepherd keeps me and holds me and the ones I love together.

No comments:

Post a Comment