Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Food Experience

Two banana cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
Just thought I would get my down-fall for the day out of the way.  Full disclosure.  I've been assured by a friend and coworker that banana cupcakes are probably NOT on the Mediterranean Diet.  And despite the fact that the frosting was indeed Mediterranean blue in color, color has nothing to do with it!  So, as I fought the urge to fill my face all day long I began to wonder what it was that was driving me to eat.
I teach relaxation skills.  When I give a presentation I like to teach my listeners how to eat experientially, as an example of living in the moment.  I pass out mints and chocolate so that they may choose whichever would give them the most pleasure, then ask them to hold the wrapped candy in their hands.  I ask them to consider the wrapper and it's contents.  How does it feel?  What color is it or shape?  Can the chocolate or mint be smelled through the wrapper?  After contemplating these things it's time to unwrap.  Slowly unwrapping the candy to listen to the crinkle of the package, feeling it crumple beneath and between fingers, breathing in the released scent of the candy.  And finally, with eyes closed and another whiff of the sweet treat, into the mouth.  No chewing, just sucking up the sugary goodness.  For the chocolate lovers the creamy milk chocolate melting away creates a smooth sensation.  For the mint lovers the sugar dissolves into buttery goodness and leaves the airways feeling clean and clear.
Experiential eating (that's what I call it anyway).  In other words it's taking the time to experience, with all of your senses, what you're putting into your mouth.  Grabbing something at the drive thru and eating as the gps shouts out directions in between On Point and the Diane Rehm show on the radio while you almost run a red light and push the button so the wipers clean your windshield, is not the way to experience your food.  However, I would imagine this is how most of the working-class spend at least one meal of their day if not more.
The Mediterranean tradition, as read in The Everything Mediterranean Cookbook by Connie Diekman and Sam Satiropoulos, is to enjoy a long mid-day meal with family and friends.  It is a meal shared at a slow pace.  It sounds delightful and relaxing.  A chance to loosen the shoulders and breathe deeply in the midst of what would otherwise be a stressful day.  While this may not be realistic in our American culture of the 9-5 workday, there are principals that could most certainly be incorporated into this US lifestyle.
So, during the rush and bustle of a long work day what did I choose to eat?  Well, among other things, two banana cupcakes with Mediterranean-blue cream cheese frosting.  I did snack on my almonds.  Victory!  Also, I used plenty of evoo (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and garlic on pasta with spinach and tomato for lunch.  I did a good job on the "oil" front today it seems.
I did and do want this experiment to bring about gradual change (thats why I hesitate to call what I'm working on here a "diet").  As with any positive change or creation of a habit it takes practice and time. That being said I am choosing grace and patience for myself today.  Tomorrow I will not consume two cupcakes and I will strive to experience the food that I eat, that is my plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment