Monday, January 13, 2014

Measures



I decided today that if I am to make this a legitimate experiment I need something to measure.  It's humorous for me to think that I am conducting "research" of my own free will.  I've talked myself out of a doctorate degree so many times because I know it would mean conducting experiments/research/analysis and taking statistics.  While I'm not interested in taking any such classes, I'm quite happy to be conducting this experiment!  Now that I've talked that through, on with the measuring.
As for my physical self, I am a 40 year old woman.  5' 3" and today after lunch with boots on I weighed 140 pounds.  Full disclosure here.  I trust all my friends and readers to use this knowledge for good and not for evil.  I am 4 months postpartum and slowly looking for ways to increase my physical activity, that is other than the activity required in raising 4 boys ages 4 and under and working 2 part time jobs.  At this time, however, those activities are about all that I participate in.  Our family has recently opened a membership at the local YMCA.  In the last three weeks I believe I have been there 3 times.
Because this Mediterranean experiment is not just about weight I thought it would be important to also measure my stress level.  I found this stress test on www.anxietycentre.com.  I've seen it before and was actually looking for this particular one.  I appreciate the all-encompassing nature of the events listed. Those who know me well are aware of the fact that I, in the past, have dealt with anxiety and panic attacks.  That's not to say that when I'm in the midst of something rough these days I don't have to utilize my coping skills to stave off full-fledged anxiety, however, it isn't commonplace as it used to be. 
My panic attacks started around the time when I met and fell head over heels in love with my now-husband in 2005.  Dating him and being engaged long distance was stressful, as was planning a wedding.  My panic attacks intensified and after just one month of marriage the panic attacks were so extreme that they were impacting my ability to work.  It was then that I realized even "good" stress can have negative consequences on a person.  So I increased my study and practice of relaxation and guided imagery at that time.  I also increased prayer and personal time.
It has been probably 4 years since I've had a I'm-going-to-die-I-have-to-pull-the-car-over-I-can't-even-see-straight panic attack (thank the living God!) but anxiety that tempts my body to overreact still lingers and tugs at me from time to time.
Today, according to this chosen measure for stress, my stress level is low to moderate.  I've shared it here with you.  Again, full disclosure, information to be used for good not evil.  


Event
No
Yes
Death of spouse
Divorce
Marital separation, major relationship problems
Jail term
Death of a close family member
Experiencing anxiety conditon or panic attacks
Significant financial problems
Personal injury, illness, or health concern
Recent Marriage (within 6 months)
Fired at work
Marital reconciliation
Retirement
Loss (lost or death) of a family pet
Family member illness
Working on a stressful project
Move (home, new city or country) within 6 months
Pregnancy
Sex difficulties
Gain of new family member
Business change (changes of, or at work)
Significant change in financial state
Death of a close friend
Career change / looking for work
Change in number of arguments with spouse
Mortgage over $100,000
Foreclosure of mortgage or loan
Change in responsibilities at work
Son or daughter leaving home
Trouble with in-laws
Outstanding personal achievement
Spouse begins or stops work
Begin or end school
Medical concern
Change in living conditions
Change of personal habits
Trouble with boss
Change in work hours or conditions
Regularly working more than 10 hours per day
Not taking regular rest breaks or vacations
Change in residence
Change in schools
Christmas (3 months prior to or after)
Trouble with co-worker, friend
Change in recreation
Change church or church activities
Mortgage or loan less than $100,000
Less than 6 hours of sleep on average per night
Change in number of family get-togethers
Change in eating habits
Vacation
Minor violations of the law
My stress score was 111

0 - 150Low to moderate stress
If you have scored in this range, you may want to learn and apply stress management and stress reduction strategies in order to prevent the negative consequences of stress build-up. Since stress is the number one cause of illness and disease, learning and regularly applying stress reducing strategies can help to ensure long-term good health.
Persons with a low stress tolerance, however, may find themselves over stressed even with a score of 150.
The stress reduction information in the member’s area of this web site may be very helpful to you, in this regard.
NOTE: Studies have shown that people with sustained stress in this range have a 0 - 37% chance of developing a serious illness.
=============================================
Adapted from the "Social Readjustment Rating Scale" by Thomas Holmes and Richard Rahe. This scale was first published in the Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 1967, vol. II p. 214.
The Mediterranean way of eating and way of life is also said to rewind aging.  I'm not sure how to measure that, short of taking pictures of my laugh lines when I'm smiling or of my forehead/brows when I'm pensive or even the back of my hand.  I'll continue to contemplate this.  For now, I believe I'm off to a good start.  
Truth be told, this is a lot of information about me. I am beginning to feel my stress level rising as I contemplate pushing the "publish" button.  I will publish and then I think I'll go do some deep breathing...

No comments:

Post a Comment