Sunday, March 8, 2015

Learning to Regard My Body as More Than a Vehicle

I tell Pete quite often that he is a hard worker, and he is.  I want him to know, through my words, that I recognize this and appreciate this about him.  He is a very driven and focused individual and the proof of his efforts are in his work.  It's something I not only appreciate about him but really admire about him.
I've been sick for over 4 days.  Until yesterday, Saturday night, I hadn't moved much from my bed since Tuesday morning.  Once I was able to move again, I really moved.  After wiping off the dining room table and sweeping the kitchen floor I thought to myself, "You're a hard worker."  I do believe this is the first time in perhaps FOREVER that I've allowed myself that compliment.  
While I accepted this compliment at the moment my inner self spoke it, I have been reflecting on it since.  It has caused me to realize, or perhaps I knew it already but am now ready to fully admit that I am not good at caring for myself.  I am indeed a hard worker, but what I'm now fully aware of is I don't know when to shut it off.  I may have admitted the lack of self-care before, however, I am now prepared to take steps toward change.
I love the meme's on Facebook that say things like "Men, if you want to know how women think, imagine 1,254 browser pages open all at once ALL THE TIME".  Or the one that has the "I'm Going to Bed" list for men and women.  Men: go to bed.  Women: wipe down the kitchen, tuck the kids in again, feed the dog, check the thermostat, check the door locks, throw in a load of laundry, clean the bathroom sink, clean the nightstand, go to bed.  (Something like that anyway).  After reading some of these things I confess: that is me.  And, it is supremely difficult for me to "shut-off".
It's easy to be critical of the work-a-holic who is away from home more often than not.  But how about the work-a-holic who's home but constantly doing something?  This I would justify by saying, "It needs to get done."  Or, "I want to do it so Pete doesn't have to after a long day at work."  Or, on my weaker days, "If I don't do it, who will."
It just so happens a Seed of Self-Care was planted as I sat in session with one of my clients several weeks ago.  I was leading him in a relaxation exercise and closed with a meditation.  He deals with chronic pain so I wanted to share a positive thought on the body.  From Julia Cameron's book "Blessings" I read the following: 

               My body is more than just a vehicle that carries me through life.  My body is a storehouse for my memories, a sensitive radar kit which warns me of danger, a wise teacher who signals me how best to care for my spirit.  When I take seriously the guidance it offers, I make decisions which honor me in a holistic way. 

Practicing self-care is something my husband and my mother especially try to stress with me.  My friend Cindy also gives me kind lectures on the importance of this practice.  I was listening but not hearing what they were saying.  After receiving the news I did last month, another cancer diagnosis, and being sick for what seems like the 5th time since winter began, I realized it was (finally) time to listen; to take it seriously.  The quote above returned to my mind.
At the end of one short day of being able to keep food in me after days without, I was running my body like a machine, a vehicle, and I was not being kind.  In my mind I was full speed ahead, getting it done.  As I considered this later I reminded myself that there will ALWAYS be something that needs to get done.  It's in those "full throttle" moments that I must recognize it's more important to sit down with my sons and read a book instead of straightening the bookshelf.  
Over the recent months I have been making efforts to delegate more of the house work.  Practicing what I preach to my clients when we talk about family plans that include children's chores.  Our boys, while young are very helpful and very eager to be given tasks when there is work to be done.  I know it's important to involve them now so that we will continue to work together as a family over the years.  This is an act of teaching, togetherness and caring for myself.
My body is more than a vehicle, it's a storehouse of memories, a library of wisdom, a partner through the most rewarding and tragic events of our time.  
The meditation goes on to say: 

                I bless my body for its patient endurance, its mercurial intuition and its persistence in speaking to me even when I slough aside the guidance it bears.  My body is the most loyal of friends.  I bless my body for its loyal companionship and commit to regarding it with tender care.

I do so commit.  I talk to my clients about being kind to themselves through the way they talk to themselves (and the power of words is something you'll be hearing more about).  But, I think a very important piece is also the way we treat our physical self.  While it's been easy for me to coach others in that direction of self-care, it hasn't been something I've practiced on a consistent basis.  I bless my body for its patience and do commit to regarding it with tender care.  

No comments:

Post a Comment