Sunday, April 5, 2015

All Things New

Revelation 21:5-7

He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then He said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
He said to me: “It is finished!  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water as a gift from the spring of the water of life. Those who overcome will inherit all these things, and I will be their God and they will be my children."
It's Easter Sunday.  Resurrection Day.  Not only that but it's springtime in the midwest and we are enjoying milder weather, more hours of sunshine in a day and the excitement of buds on trees and in our flower beds.  As for me, I was enjoying being able to eat without adverse effects for the first time since my chemo treatment one week and 5 days ago.
As I've been reflecting on all that this season means, not only spring but Easter, remembering the resurrection of Christ, the above Scripture has remained constant in my mind.  I love the image of new birth or re-birth as this time of year illustrates so beautifully: birds make nests and lay eggs, little green shoots emerge from an otherwise barren-looking ground, and the brown trees of winter begin to show colors at the tips of their branches once again.  It's such a glorious time of the life cycle and a very poignant one for me this year.
Since receiving the results of my genetic testing showing that I am positive for Li-Fraumeni Syndrome, I have felt a dark, heavy cloud hanging over me.  While I would share the information with family and friends saying, "It's just providing information, it's not a diagnosis," it felt just the opposite.  I realized I was taking the news of this mutated tumor-suppressor gene and shackling myself to cancer for the rest of my life.  It was as if I couldn't see a future.
So, today, in light of and remembrance of Christ's work on the cross for salvation, His suffering for healing and finally His return from the grave for life everlasting, I decided to claim the victory for myself!  As the Scripture from Revelation 21 says, "those who overcome will inherit the water of life.  He is making all things new!"  This proclamation and promise seemed to be a ray of light for me in a very dark place.  Christ's victory all the more sweet for me in the valley of the shadow of death.
I prayerfully revisited the genetic testing information this afternoon and found it to be less intimidating  than I had remembered and I found myself encouraged.  Even if nothing of the information had changed whether on paper or in my mind it wouldn't have mattered because He who is on the throne says, "Behold!  I am making all things new!"  That doesn't mean my genetics will change or that I won't have cancer tomorrow.  But I have the assurance of being made new, being given a renewed hope, experiencing the rebirth of determination and perseverance.  
Yesterday I would have asked, "How can I do this?"  Today the answer is, "He who is on the throne is making all things new!"  So, for today, I claim a victory.  I accept Christ's work on the cross and the power of His resurrection as part of my inheritance.  I will hold to it in dark places.  And in times of desperation or despair I will look to the light of a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment