Thursday, April 16, 2015

Second Day 1, Done

Yesterday was a better experience because I wasn't dealing with the after-effects of anesthesia which had been difficult to recover from during my first treatment after my port-placement surgery.  While it is an outpatient surgery and the anesthetics are light, my body doesn't handle them well and so it was a bit of a struggle for a few days.
My mind was sharp yesterday, until the benadryl, but for the most part sharp!  I felt accomplished.  I started the day with 15 minutes on the tread mill to reduce chemo toxicity.  That's 5 more minutes than last treatment.  I was able to meet with the financial person to discuss lodging options and possible reduced medical rates for my next treatment stay and of course we discussed bills accrued.
Later, my mom and I introduced ourselves around, or were introduced, to some of the other wellness warriors and families in treatment alongside of me.  I read, wrote, slept (because I needed some catch up after my early morning and probably due to the benadryl) and chatted with my mom (while awake).
The pharmacy stalled our progress a bit so there was some "unplugged" down time where there were no drugs being administered and we had to wait.  I didn't mind much due to the fact that I was back in my "Hickory" pod, seated in a comfortable chair with a pile of things I wanted to read or write and all the while the sun was shining down on me from the windows above.
"Ahhh," I thought, "If one has to be treated for cancer I can't think of a better place to be."
Treatment was resumed and we finished out our day around 6pm.  I felt stronger than I had last go and was even able to drive away from The Block Center and spend a little shop time at Target before heading BACK to the Cheesecake Factory for another SkinnyLicious French Country Salad with romaine lettuce, fresh beets, grilled asparagus, candied pecans, goat cheese (an indulgence on my diet) and vinagairette.
My mom and I were both very tired by the time we reached the hotel but it was a satisfied and accomplished fatigue.  I sewed a couple of hats I had found at Target to better fit my bald head, put on my warm, stocking cap, took my Melatonin and a drink of water and laid down in the Cobbler Pose to begin my new going to bed practices.  You can read about them at length in my previous post "Our Bodies are Sacred, Continued Growth in Care and Honoring of Self and Others".
All in all I thank God for a smooth and successful second day one, done.

My Momma in the Hickory pod at The Block Center, rockin' the Second, Day One!

No comments:

Post a Comment