Thursday, April 16, 2015

Our Bodies are Sacred, Continued Growth in Care and Honoring of Self and Others

Wednesday 4/15/15 3:30 am
As I’ve been learning to regard my body as more than just a vehicle propelling me through life and learning to truly care for myself, my respect for all members of my body has increased.  My respect for all members of other’s bodies has increased as well.  On a spiritual level I would see others mistreat and misuse themselves in different ways and feel sorrow over the lack of care and concern they had for themselves.  I believed I had been caring for myself and perhaps have been all this time on some level, but that level of care is deepening, softening, changing.  That care is my primary focus, because if I cannot properly care for myself I will not know how to properly care for others.  I teach self-care in many different forms to my clients at my private practice, to my patients in home care and even my coworkers.  This is a very important process for me to truly learn, adopt and live.
We exploit and ravage our bodies in so many ways.  I recognize it more as I embrace this change into a deepening respect for my body.  One way I still struggle to maintain appropriate boundaries with myself is in the area of sleep.  Most nights I don’t get enough of it.  I will do and do and do whatever is in my line of sight that needs doing until it’s after 10 pm and I had told myself to be ready to wind down by 8.  Not only that but my mind really turns on at night and I could write and think and write and think until 1am or earlier-and I do sometimes.  Even now I was awakened at 3:30 am and my mind  won’t shut off.  There were thoughts I needed to get out and so here I am trying to get them out so that I can go back to sleep!
So I would encourage anyone to consider ways that they exploit their bodies through food, drink, drugs, lack of sleep, negative thoughts, allowing toxic people in, unlimited stress, inappropriate boundaries (or lack of boundaries altogether), sexual habits and any other way a person might contrive to misuse their one and only personal, God-given resource.  Our bodies are resilient and were created to heal themselves but they are not infallible or immortal bodies.  We must do what we can to nurture and sustain this precious resource. 
It's vital that we continue to grow in respect and honor of our bodies.
I Corinthians 6:19-20  "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit whom you received from God?  You are not your own, you were bought with a price.  Therefore, honor God with your bodies."


Thursday 4/16/15 4:45 am
I learned the Cobbler pose in my personalized yoga session on Tuesday and have been utilizing that and the new deep breathing technique I learned there.  In this new form of breathing I breathe in and out through the nose.  This form of breathing directs the air flow through the nostrils which have a filtering system but also serves to reserve the body's natural moisture.  I had always practiced breathing in through the nose and exhaling through the mouth but apparently one loses more moisture in this form of breathing and it's counterproductive if you want to stay well hydrated.  
Both Tuesday and Wednesday night I have begun by assuming the Cobbler pose as I get into bed.  This pose serves to open up the lymphatic systems giving them plenty of space to do their filtering work.  I employ the breathing techniques and hold the pose, arms outstretched for a few minutes, all the while guiding my body into peaceful, healing relaxation.  I talk to each part of my body, each muscle group inviting my whole body into this state.
Next I lay hands on the tumor sites and instruct all of my fighter cells and the chemotherapy (once I've had it) that the battle is here and I visualize all those warriors coming to war to finish off the cancer.  I imagine the cancer casualties being filtered away by my lymphatic system that is lying open and functioning at top form.
Then I lay hands on each of my organs and pray for proper function, protection and healing. I receive God's promises and remember that by the stripes Christ suffered on the cross I am healed.  Isaiah 53: 5 "But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our sins; the punishment that brought us peace was on Him, and by His wounds we are healed."
Once I feel my body in a state of complete relaxation and proper function I lengthen and strengthen, first stretching my legs out.  I point my toes, then flex my feet and stretch my heels.  Next, I extend my arms above my head and hold a stretch.  I hold this pose for a few minutes and just feel the benefit and the power in it.  Then I return to the Cobbler Pose (I really encourage anyone to look into this pose and to practice it).  
I remain in the Cobbler Pose with my hands on my abdomen to provide support to all my filtering systems that are working harder now since the chemotherapy has been introduced to the battle.  Then I turn my prayers and healing attention to all those I know who are in need of healing.  I pray that God's love and healing which transcends time, distance and space would minister to them.  I pray for peace, healing and joy in the midst of the struggle for all involved.  I well know that dealing with disease and illness is not one person's effort, it effects all of those who love and care for you.  
I pray for joy because I also know how important attitude is in this process.  Proverbs 17:22 says, "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." I believe it's valuable to pray for the spirit and mindset of each person involved to lift them up!  
God's light is never brighter than in our darkest hours.
This is my newly adopted bedtime practice of honoring my body, assisting in its healing process, and also the honor and attention toward the healing processes of others.  I feel lifted up by the support, prayers, love and positivity of all of those who text me, call me, message me, comment on Facebook and send me cards in the mail.  I have said it before and I will say it again here: I truly feel carried by your prayers through this healing process.  It is the hope of my heart to return that strength and support to you in any way that I can.
Thank you.  Wherever you are and whatever it is you are dealing with, peace, healing and joy be yours.  Amen (So be it).

No comments:

Post a Comment