Friday, September 16, 2011

It's a Twin's Life

Theodore Nelson and Samuel Francis were born at 3:35 p.m. and 3:36 p.m. respectively on March 18th.  A multiple pregnancy is something that would require another entry or two to talk about.  It was amazing but also physically and emotionally challenging.  It was a bit daunting standing at the window to the nursery just two days after their birth, pointing out Teddy and Sam to their 17-month-old big brother.  I had a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of having two babies to bring home with us.  As I think back, it's hard to believe how seamless the transition was.  Big-brother Bobby took to his role with ease.  For the first few days he didn't like it when the two would cry.  He would cry too, point to them and say, "Baby" as if pleading with us to make it stop.  It didn't take long for him to get past that and soon he began to mimic what he saw mom and dad do when the babies cried.  He brings toys to them, pats their heads, rubs their bellies or covers them with blankets.  He is such a sweet boy.
At first I wondered how we were going to tell them apart.  They looked so much alike with BIG chubby cheeks and little dark eyes.  The only thing that really stood out was the difference in their complexion.  It didn't take long however before the differences in their looks as well as their personalities shown through.  Sam is a sweet docile little guy with a dimple in his left cheek.  He loves to cuddle.  Teddy is an outgoing boy with wide eyes.  He is a mover.  They are alike in the ways that most brothers are alike: the enjoy mealtime, like to play, and laugh when they watch big brother and Molly-dog chase eachother. 
I wonder if you can tell what kind of a child/teenager/adult someone will be by watching them when they are just six-months old.  If you can tell, I wonder what this says about Teddy and Sam:

The other day I was juggling three little boys during mealtime.  Teddy was the least urgent as evidenced by his lack of fussing or crying.  I had given the babies part of their bottles and Teddy acted as though he were done while Sam still wanted his.  Bobby was in the kitchen and I could hear the refrigerator door opening.  (Yes, Bobby gets into the refrigerator on his now and has for a couple months at least!)  Thankfully, Sam is able to hold his own bottle.  So as Bobby began making his wishes known at the top of his lungs, I put Sam and Teddy in their crib (they do share a crib for the time being) and made sure Sam had a good hold on his bottle.
I was in the kitchen long enough to ascertain that Bobby required a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and string cheese before I heard Sam begin to cry.  I entered the room and saw Teddy with Sam's bottle in the crook of his arm and his leg on Sam's stomach.  I put the bottle back in Sam's mouth and helped him get a good hold on it again, then moved Teddy over to his corner of the crib.  For good measure I turned on the mobile to give Teddy something to focus on because apparently he was bored.
I went back into the kitchen to prepare the pb and j I had promised Big Brother as he sat chewing on his string cheese.  There was just enough time for me to spread the peanut butter before Sam was crying again.  I went back in the room to find the bottle again in Teddy's arm and Teddy resting an open hand on Sam's head as if to comfort him.  Teddy's face was so calm and innocent it made the situation that more comical, though I know Sam didn't think it was funny. However, mom is a fast learner, I returned the bottle to Sam and put Teddy in his swing!

It's so much fun to watch the twin baby boys interact.  When one cries the other seems to reach out with a hand (or a foot) as if to comfort them.  I've seen them lock eyes and exchange smiles.  They both pay very close attention to their big brother too.  Such precious little ones.  There are times they both do need something at the same time but we all just work it out somehow.  The babies seem to understand that they are not the only one.  This life with three boys would be all the more difficult if they were not so patient.  I am sure, as time goes by, that there will be much more to share and while I may not have a plan for every circumstance, I look forward to what is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment