Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Thick as Thieves

I had considered titling this post "Molly + Bobby=WMD" but decided against it.  But to say that our little Westie, Molly and our soon-to-be-two year old Bobby are thick as thieves is also true.  Perhaps their destruction is not "mass", just local.  Let me tell you about it.

Pete says I have the magic touch with scratch offs.  He doesn't win when he does it, but apparently there's something about the way I "scratch" that just results in the win.  Hence the 30% off at Kohls this week.  I scratched.  30% was the highest discount you could get and we got it!  So, after cleaning the kitchen, bathing all three boys, enjoying their nap time (they all napped at the same time today-a truly momentous ocassion) exercising and making sure everyone was fed, we loaded up in the ole mini van and headed off to Kohls. 
Cindy met us there and we all enjoyed a couple of hours (give or take) of walking around the store, looking at baby clothes, jewelry and men's clothes.  Bobby liked to touch the long necklaces as if he were fluffing them and would say, "Wow!"  He had had a 2 and 1/2 hour nap which is virtually unheard of for that boy, so he had energy TO BURN!  ...energy to burn as evidenced by running through the aisles, pushing shopping carts carrying baby-brothers-in-car-seats into manequins, yelling, "HI!" to every passer-by and playing with the swinging doors behind the jewelry counter.  My son is as cute as can be.  Even though it was getting to be a little overwhelming for me to try and keep up with, it just made me chuckle because he is so darn cute!
By the end of our little outing all boys were a bit testy.  After some crackers and juice were put in his lap Bobby felt better.  Sam, however did not stop crying until we were about 2 blocks from home and then he fell asleep.  Teddy was asleep when we arrived home and if he had been awake during the last 1/2 of the car trip I never would have known.  So, I promptly unloaded all boys and purchases into the house hoping to sneak a few to-dos in before the babies awoke.  No such luck.  Molly, who is newly released from the crate after breaking her pelvis in 3 places earlier this summer, was estatic to see us and had many licks, coos and "woofs" to assure the babes would not continue in their sleep.
Now, I need to interject something here.  You probably thought, "Awww, poor dog," when you read that Molly had broken her pelvis.  Let me tell you, she has a mind of her own and no amount of human training, reasoning, pleading, beaconing or the like will sway her from her own will.  Couple that with some jaunting squirrels just outside the van window on the sidewalk and, boom, you've got a 13 pound bundle flying out the window of a moving vehicle.  She handled her injury and subsequent surgery and isolation very well but now I'm sure you can imagine her excitement as she is free from the crate and able to interact with us all again.  With her strength gaining her energy level seems to be increasing as well. 
Okay, so, we return from Kohls with two hungry babies, a hungry toddler and return to a pent-up energetic doggy.  I took the twins into the bedroom to feed them while Bobby and Molly played together.  They both like to play chase.  The funny thing is that Molly likes to be chased and so does Bobby.  But Molly has it worked out so that Bobby is chasing her but THINKS she is chasing him, so everybody's happy.  It's quite comical to watch.  During this game of chase Bobby periodically stopped in the bedroom to say, "Up, up."  This translated means he wanted to get up on the bed with me and his brothers.  I explained that the brothers were eating and he would be able to get up in a little bit before bedtime.  Well, the stop in the bedroom was just for a breather because he barely waited for an answer before he was off again.  In between his stops in the bedroom I could hear a bag rustling in the living room.  I imagined it was the Kohl's bag and immediately wondered what Bobby was after in there.  (Socks aren't the most fun to play with).  Once the babies were done eating I turned my attention to the little boy who then needed to be fed.  When I entered the living room I could not believe what I was seeing.
"HEY!!!" I yelled as sternly as I could muster as I watched my son and my dog ripping the Kohls bag to shreds as though they were ripping open a present on Christmas morning.  (That is exactly how they open gifts.  Molly helps and they rip the paper to bits.)  And so it was with the Kohls bag-to SHREDS.  I was frustrated and would have been more upset but I could just imagine my husband Pete coming up on this scene and how it would make him laugh.  So, I just kept that image in mind and calmly told Bobby to help mom clean up the mess he had made.  Ever so obediently, and is if nothing at all had happened, Bobby helped me clean up the mess.  Bits of bag, receipts, socks wrappers and tags were gathered and thrown, away.
Despite the occasional and inadvertant destruction it is great fun to watch Bobby and Molly interact.  And so it is with the picture of a boy and his dog amid shreds of plastic bags that I close my eyes to sleep tonight.  What have you experienced that could have made you mad but caused you to laugh instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment