Sunday, September 4, 2011

Moment by Moment

Isn't it amazing how a day can start one way and end totally the opposite?

Sunday mornings are difficult for my family.  With two infants and one soon-to-be two-year-old it's difficult to get our act together and be places on time.  This day was no exception.  We were able to make it to church on time.  Bobby was having another rough morning (he is typically ready to go down for a nap right around the time our service is in full swing).  His new thing is to yell, "Mom."  Through the house, first thing in the morning when he's ready to get up, in the store, and yes-in church.  And typically the twins are sleeping through the service, but not today.  Bobby yelling, "Mom" as I played my guitar with the praise band, the twins crying intermittently...this was our church experience today.

With three children under the age of two you can just imagine how quickly we go through a box of diapers.  Diapers.  Wipes.  Formula.  Necessity dictated that on our way back from church we stop at Target to pick up these items.  Cue the mini-meltdown.  Poor Bobby was just so tired at this point he could not hold it together in the store.  We got what we needed and got out of there.  The car ride home was unpleasant at best and Pete and I were on edge. 

Needless to say, it was a train wreck of a morning.

But even in the midst of that "wreck" I found myself subconsciously or automatically remaining in the moment.  I didn't allow the crying fits or the tension to cause me to retreat within myself, wishing away each minute of discomfort.  I hung with it all.  And I noticed that as the day progressed I was able to breathe easier, remain calm in the midst of struggles with an exhausted son (who rested in bed but never did sleep), to read a book for a few minutes, to sit on my porch with my boys and enjoy the breeze...
I didn't get done all I wanted to today.  Things didn't start out as hoped or planned.  In spite of it all, patience proved to be invaluable in reclaiming the day as I encountered moment by precious moment.

1 comment:

  1. I find myself often looking forward to when certain moments will be over...

    like meltdowns, etc. Some days, I just can't wait until my two-year-old's nap.

    Staying in the moment is hard. Thanks for encouraging me.

    ReplyDelete